John F. Kennedy Memorial Stone
Corner of Sartori Ave. and Cabrillo
Torrance, CA 90501
Photograph caption dated November 23, 1964 reads, "John F. Kennedy Memorial
Stone dedication in downtown Torrance. Flanking stone are Dr. Frank Sullivan,
speaker, and Celia Pons, donors." The fountain situated at the base of the
memorial stone is not completely visible here.
The memorial is located on the corner of Sartori and Cabrillo Avenues in
downtown Torrance and in 2014 is located adjacent to Wells Fargo Bank.
Celia Pons and her husband Max fled Germany in 1937 to escape the Nazi Jewish
purge. They settled in Torrance, where her husband became a successful
manufacturer and businessman. Mrs. Pons was well-known for her philanthropy,
giving generously to such projects as the new Little Company of Mary Hospital.
The Pons lived and started their business at 1610 Cabrillo Ave, which in 2014
was a dental office.
Max Pons (from the Torrance Herald, 1937)
states the Max Pons Co.
made "straw mosaic" material: straw that was treated and dyed, and
was used to make trays, picture frames, decorative boxes.
Dr. Frank Sullivan was an English professor at (what was then) Loyola University in
Westchester. He was active in local Democratic politics.